Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentines Without a Sweetheart

So what would your Valentines be without your sweetheart? Yesterday I decided to call my Dad and see how he was doing. After talking for awhile, he proceeded to tell me that "tonight was the Valentine's banquet at church". I told him I had wondered about that and wondered if they were having one again this year. You see, my Mom absolutely LOVED going to the Valentine's banquet every year! She would get so excited and she always made sure to call us and tell us that her and Dad were going. Dad kind of sat in silence for awhile and then he said, "I thought about how much Mom loved going to it and thought about going... but since I have no sweetheart to take to the banquet this year, I decided I would kind of feel out of place by going". As the huge lump in my throat slowly passed, I thought to myself, "I'm SO sorry you have no sweetheart this year to take with you to the banquet Dad, I know Mom would have loved to go with you"! It is hard for me to imagine Valentines without a sweetheart, but I REALLY can't imagine having a sweetheart for 55 years or more and then him or her being gone in an instant. These are the times in my life I want to sit and cry the whole day through, but then I realize I wouldn't be doing anyone any good, so why bother. I instead decided to make the kids a special Valentine's brunch; Blueberry French Toast with fresh Blueberry topping, Maple flavored Sausage links and yummy hot chocolate. I then decided to kiss all my Valentine's (my 3 little ones and my 1 big one) and thank God that I have them all for one more Valentines!

1 comment:

  1. This is something my dad never had to experience. I am so sorry and will be thinking of him w/out his sweetheart...that God will give him extra grace today - and He will. Definitely one reason why we dreaded Mom and Dad's anniversary - b/c of the sorrow and memories of 56 previous anniversaries.

    ReplyDelete