Saturday, May 9, 2009

Kallee's Strawberry Shortcake Cake

Well here it is, it didn't turn out perfectly, but I'm not perfect, so there ya go! : o) From about the time Kallee was done with her 3rd birthday, she said her next birthday she wanted a Strawberry Shortcake cake/party. Since we had just finished her 3rd, I wasn't worried about planning her 4th, HA! Anyways, the closer it got to her birthday, she reminded me "I still want a Strawberry Shortcake birthday", so...since I only have one girl to spoil---she got her wish! I am not a fancy cake baker at all so I'm not very creative on my own, that's when I decided to jump online and see what I could find. There were a lot to choose from, but nothing I thought I was prepared to try and attempt. The one she selected (with a little encouraging from Mom : ) was Strawberry Shortcake's hat and it was actually pretty easy. All you pros could probably do it in 1/2 the time I did and really make is look cute, but since I'm not a pro... Anyways here are the results, she was happy with it, so that is all that matters.
Step #1
(2 - 9" round strawberry cakes)
Step #2
(First layer frosted with yummy, homemade strawberry frosting)
Step #3
(the top layer wasn't as big as I would have liked, but it did the trick)
Step #4 (kind of lopsided, but it worked)
Step #5
(I didn't have any thin ribbon (and I was too cheap to buy a roll for this: ) so I took the wide ribbon I had and folded it in half)
Step #6
(I did splurge on these deorations and got them for like $5 on ebay)
Step #7
(I couldn't find the green and pink striped ribbon I wanted,
so this green and pink polka-dot ribbon had to do)
Ta-da!
She helped me put on the decorations and strawberry gummies,
she enjoyed helping so much!The finished products!

I got to thinking about it and the platter that I used for the smaller cake and the red ribbon on her "hat cake", were my Mom's so it kind of made it special to use something that was hers. This was the first birthday Mom wasn't here to call and wish Sissy a Happy Birthday and with it being Mother's Day weekend and all.

1 comment: