Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My Mentor & My Friend - By: Sherry Gates

This post was written in memory of my Mom, by a friend of mine, Sherry (Taylor) Gates!  Thanks for writing this Sherry, my Mom loved you and your family too!


Seems like just yesterday I was a young stay at home mom doing my best to make things work while Daniel worked 10-12 hour days so that I could stay home. Many times I would call on my friend, Marlyn Shattuck and she would help me get over whatever hurdle I seemed to be facing. I remember one time in particular, Daniel had just called and said he was headed out of town and most likely would not be home until late that night. I was so bummed I called Marlyn and she told me to get off the phone and get the kids together and come to her house. I did that and we had the best time visiting while the kids ran everywhere in that big yard. I always knew that the welcome mat was out for me and I have tried to be the same way. I was lamenting the fact that I have no special talents to a friend and she said, "Oh, you do. You have the gift of hospitatlity. I always feel welcome in your home even if I show up unannounced." I just whispered, "thank you. Marlyn." Some people touch our lives forever and we just have to remember them and smile! THANK YOU, MY DEAR FRIEND FOR THE MEMORIES! Because of you I learned that things don't have to be spotless and perfect to make a house a home! I love you and miss you!

1 comment:

  1. Your mom was the best! Actually--is the best. She is forever in my heart! There are very few people I let in there and she is one of them!

    ReplyDelete