Sunday, October 19, 2008

What Is Considered the "Silent Killer"?

Well I have spent the evening in bed, which hasn't been all bad : ) The reason??? I went to Arnett Clinic this afternoon after my BP was pretty high! I haven't had any symptoms or any signs, but after it was 151/100 on Monday, I thought I would have Jerry's gma take it today for me. She told me often there are no symptoms, that is why they call it the "Silent Killer". She took it a couple times and then had my FIL take it again. He was the winner, he got the highest reading of the day -- 170/118! What started this whole mess was when I went to the doctor a few weeks ago for my ear infection and the doctor told me, it was high then. She told me I needed to have it checked again, so when I went to Wally-World on Monday, I took it a couple times on their freebie machine. When Jerry's gma heard this, she told me she would bring her cuff today to dinner and take it again. She was worried after having it taken three times and suggested I go home and relax all day and evening. She said "call your doctor first thing in the morning"!!! When it was all said and done, Jerry met me at the clinic (he was home sick) and we had it checked. The nurse took it a few times and got a high reading (147/107) and then asked how I was feeling. I told her I felt fine, she then replied, "that is why they often call it a silent killer", UGH! While waiting on the doctor to come in, I just happen to pick up a magzine with an article in it about high BP. It said at the rate I am at, I could easily have a stroke, a heart attack or have congestive heart failure, OUCH! The doctor said it was too high and wanted to start me on medicine. He said your pretty young to start a daily med but it is better to start now, than wait till it is too late. He said a lot of people don't come until they are in their 40's and then they have a lot of damage already done. So...I am now on Lisinopril, does anyone know anything about it? I have to call and get lab work scheduled tomorrow, but until then I'm suppose to take it easy. The only times my BP has been high, is when I'm prego and I'm NOT that, so I don't know what's up. Both my parents have/had high BP, so it is probably a hereditary. Until the lab work is done and I go back to the doctor a month from now, we will see what happens.

11 comments:

  1. Praying for you! I started to send you a text last night but it seems like I got interrupted so not sure if it went thru or not. TAKE IT EASY! I'd offer my services but at the moment, I'd say we are two invalids together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You better take care of yourself, girlfriend. I want you around for awhile. Hope all gets better soon.
    Love ya, Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awful! Hope it comes down and you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think one of my parents took this med, don't remember anything significant about it though!

    Be sure to take your meds and get yourself a BP cuff for home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gene had to start bp medicine a couple years ago, after his hit stroke level. So far, he has had no problems with the medicine and it brought those numbers right back down to a normal range. Hopefully, it can do the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, if I were you, I'd try anything to bring it down EXCEPT the meds. Once they get you on one, then they will want to put you on another to control side effects from the previous one! Have to tried controlling it with diet? Like cutting back sodium or caffiene? I'm thinkin' about ya, and hoping you can get it under control. Remember, this is just my opinion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ladonna--
    So far I have had NO side effects, so that's a good thing. I don't use salt that much and I'm not big on caffeine, so...both of my parents have/had high bp, so I think that has something to do with it. I need to use the med until I can get it down a bit and then maybe I can work on the diet thing. Only time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is Janiece's husband speaking and she WILL be using medication since that is what a DOCTOR prescribed and I usually trust a Doctor over an opinion of someone who is not, so all of you who have told her to try diet instead of doctor's orders may now cease and desist.

    Thank You,

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Honey--
    Calm down, I don't want your BP getting out of hand : ) I will stay on the med until the doctor tells me different. I Love You!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We need to send Jerry back to his corner! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Janiece, my husband also takes this medication, 1/2 tab a day, but his is for his diabeties, to keep his kidneys from damage. He has had no side effects whatsoever. He has a cuff at home and keeps a watch on it daily. Because his is not for hbp we have to make sure he don't get lbp.

    ReplyDelete