Friday, November 16, 2007

Christmas Traditions

I know it is a little early to be talking about Christmas, but it is only 39 days away, AHHHHH! I have several traditions I like to do with the kids during the Christmas season, but I would like to do a few more. After all, the kids will only be little once and Christmas only comes once a year! My boys have always loved going to visit the Cottrell Farm (only a few miles from our house), they have 1000's of lights and it is FREE to drive through and see all of them. They also love to go to TPA Park for the Festival of Lights, which is here in town, it is FREE too. I try to make it to Lafayette to see the Living Nativity at the First Baptist Church (SR 26 --where Michelle & Rodney Krick attend), which is an AWESOME production and is FREE! There is always the Frankfort Christmas Parade that is on the first Saturday of December, and yep, it's FREE. Do you get that I like those events that are FREE? HA! Anyways, I would like to take advantage of some more events and add them to our traditions. Jerry DOES NOT enjoy these types of things, so I feel it is my "motherly duty" to do them with the kids, so they will have "traditons" to remember. I don't have too many tradtions that I remember while growing up, but I do recall the beautiful house in Mt. Pleasant we would always go see, and...Dad would drive is through the sub-divisions to see all the pretty lights if we begged him enough : ) My point is... I would like to know if anyone knows of any other Christmas events within an hour of us, that would be FREE or inexpensive? I would love to take the kids to the Brownsburg Living Christmas Tree, but couldn't find the details on their site yet. If you know of any events that we would enjoy, please pass them on.


P.S. Frankfort is having its first "Christmas Around the World" take a look at what all will be going on!

Christmas Around the World Will Be On the Square Downtown Frankfort
Come join all of the Holiday Fun Downtown Frankfort Saturday December 1st from 3:00-8:00pm. It all kicks off with the Reindeer 5K Walk/Run at the Courthouse. You will run or walk out to and through the beautiful lights of the TPA Park and then back downtown. The race starts at 4:15 with the "Rudolph Romp" a race for kids starting right after the 5K begins. Then make sure you stay for our first ever night time "Expressions in Light" Parade beginning at 6:00pm.You will see floats celebrating the traditions of Christmas from around the world. The downtown merchants will greet you with special savings and sweet treats. You might as well plan on eating downtown that evening. Restaurants will be serving dishes representing the different taste of the world. A living Nativity will also be on display and don't forget jolly ole Santa will spark your holiday senses. Live music and strolling Carolers will top off the evening. So don't miss it Saturday December 1st.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't signed up for the living nativity this year so I don't know if I'm in it or not - lol. The last time I did it I about froze my tush off....If I do it I will let you know what weekend I'll be in Bethleham!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Frankfort's really coming up in the world. Sounds really fun. I just past that old church in Eagletown. It's not a church anymore, but they do plays there. They are doing "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever". It sounded fun, but there were no details as far as price. They gave the dates which I can give to you, but it didn't have a phone number or time that it starts. If anyone has any idea, I'd love to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, another one. On 12/1 from 10a-6p in downtown Lafayette/West Lafayette. "Choirs and entertainers staged at various locations throughout the downtown area, roving carolers strolling the streets, crafters of all kinds demonstrating their talents such as spinning, lace making, chair caning, potters, blacksmiths among others staged in storefronts, and character actors to re-enact A Christmas Carol." Downtown Lafayette/West Lafayette is transformed into Victorian England.
    Website: http://www.dickensofachristmas.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle -- Can I sign up to be in it, I could stand to lose a lot off my tush, LOL! Also, maybe we could hit the only in Lafayette in the a.m. and do the Christmas Around the World in the p.m. here in town. That would be a very busy day, but it does sound like a lot of fun!

    Jody -- I would love for you to give me those dates and I will try to find out more details about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I received a call from the church in Brownsburg today and they are NOT having their Living Christmas Tree, so I guess I can mark that one off my list : (

    ReplyDelete