Monday, September 10, 2007

14 Years Ago Tonight...

Fourteen years ago tonight, I met my sweetheart! Of course I didn't realize he was the one for me, but I'm very thankful God allowed us to meet. It was on a Friday evening and my best friends Sara & my sister Mary were headed to a Perfect Heart/Kirk Talley concert. We were to meet up with Tony (Sara's fiance) and a friend of his from Indiana (Jerry). With Jerry being almost 22 and Mary being 24, Tony thought they would hit it off. When we said our hellos, Tony asked Jerry what he thought? Jerry told Tony (when they were off by themselves), "that chic in the backseat was pretty hot"!!! Oh no, Tony hadn't even given it a thought that Jerry would look my way, because I was only 17, oops! One thing I have failed to tell you, is that Tony told Jerry he had a couple girls he wanted him to meet and Mary was told, there was a guy coming up to meet her, UGH! The concert went great, we had a lot of fun. After the concert, we tried to find some place open to eat, but no such luck. Jerry was very polite and held the door for us (which he stills does), on the several attempts in us finding a resturant. When it came to getting back into the car, he couldn't figure out why I always jumped in first, leaving Mary to sit by him : ) I didn't think anything about it, after all, he wasn't there for me. Well the evening came to a close and S & T went aside to have a little talk. What were they to do now? After a little time of worrying and thinking, I think they just thought they would let things take place on their own and...NOW YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY!


My sweetheart tricked me today and had these delivered to me at home! He called wanting to know if I would be home around 2:30 so a delivery person could deliver something he ordered? Of course, I didn't think anything about it, because he does buy things on Ebay that I know nothing about, grrr! Needless to say, I was very surprised when the lady from Heather's Flowers drove in with a long stemmed rose and a box of turtles, just what I need, LOL. Kallee helped me sample some of the chocolates and said "yummy cookies". She also kept saying "pretty mommy, pretty" to the flower.
Thanks so much sweetheart, I LOVE YOU very much! The nice dinner tonight was much appreciated too.

15 comments:

  1. Ah, how sweet....and of course Mary met her hubby because of Tony and Jerry and I met Rodney because of you and Jerry. I told Sara that she and Tony started it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice, Janiece!!! Maybe Jerry isn't so bad after all. :-)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahem, and no mention of the babysitting service while you enjoyed that supper (14 years and SIX kids later :) :) loL!! We always try to celebrate our first date...so two celebrations in one month since we got married 54 weeks later (wow that sounds better than my parent's 17 days, doesn't it?!?!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, did you know that Tony was responsible for getting Travis and Jody together too? He thinks he's cupid. The funny thing is...this is what he does for a living only with programmers and companies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet that you all celebrate your "first date!" Most people probably are lucky to remember their anniversary! Jonathan does remember the anniversary date of when we started going together too! He just doesn't go all out! Now I will have to tell him this, the pressure will be on!

    Sara: We dated over 5 years! I don't even want to count the weeks! Ugh! Took me that long to talk him into marrying me! HA! He was just a baby...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know that Sara...Yes, I do believe he is cupid.

    Our first "date", if you can call it that, I didn't even realize we had. It was the night J&J introduced us and then we all went out to eat (was it Brunos?) I found out like a year later that Rodney paid for my meal. Our first "real" date was June 8th, though.

    Karen, Rodney is the same way. He remembers what day we met (how could he forget?) but hasn't acknowledged it to this extent. He may have to step it up a notch. Jerry is setting some standards here...When did you and Jonathan start dating? It's been too long ago I can't remember...I do remember keeping an eye on him at school for you and reporting at the end of the day. LOL That was his Senior year. and the year of our Spanish classes, I think. Or was it shorthand. My memory is failing...

    Now that I've taken over this post, I'll hush.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle: We started "going together" at HHYC youth camp! July 23rd, 1991! Remember!?!? He was there waiting on Crystal Sneed and I was there waiting on Jeff Bates! UGH! Luckly, neither ever showed up that week! :) Now it is my turn to hush...

    Sorry Janice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jerry and I have always remembered the date, we just don't always go out and celebrate this way. It was nice, it has been months since we have done this! You all tell your guys they had better remember "that date", it was when they met the best thing that ever happened to them, LOL! --Thanks to our babysitters Sara & Tony, we figured they got us into this mess, we might as well try to get back at them by watching our kids, HA! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, yes I remember now Karen. And Janelle (Brown) Cooper (Janiece's SIL) was teasing you about how you liked Jonathan and you kept denying it. Then it hit you like egg in the face...LOL...We could all see it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you all chose my blog to take a stroll down memory lane, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute...we also celebrate our first date, January 27th, 1987! Yep, it was 20 years ago!!! It was a lunch date at UBC, which consisted of soggy grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. I don't know if I even tasted it, I was so nervous! But we do still celebrate, even go away for overnight when we can. Joe's very good about remembering those dates. Great story, along with all the others on the comments!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do believe your blog has been hi-jacked! It's been fun, though! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sara, you are still babysitting? We still need a sitter to keep Seth's sibs from killing him! Abigail is better at home with the boys than he is! Grrr...! Believe it or not I remember T&S worrying cause Jerry went for the "Wrong" one. Which turned out to be the "Right" one. sounds like a country song!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As alluded to by Michelle, Jerry ended up bringing John Baker to MI with him for a visit. We finally got it through Janiece's sister, Mary's head that they would make a great couple and now you know "the rest of the story". (Janiece and Jerry got married 9 months after Tony and me and Mary and John got married 9 months after Jerry and Janiece.)

    ReplyDelete