Saturday, March 22, 2008

Hoppy Easter : )

This is the first finished bunny cake! Keegan thought he had to have whiskers and a smile, so that is what all the black jelly beans are!

Ok before you get yourself all worked up, my kids DO NOT believe in the Easter Bunny and they DO know the TRUE meaning behind the Easter season! There now, you can read this post and enjoy it without worrying : ) --This morning I helped Keegan and Kallee make a couple Easter Bunny cakes to take to Mamaw's for dinner tomorrow. It has been years and years since I made a cake like this (probably Talon was just little the last time I did it), so I decided we would give it a try. I didn't have the instructions in my recipe box, so I went to BettyCrocker.com and typed in Easter Bunny Cake and...wa-la! I baked the cakes last night so we wouldn't have to wait on them to cool today. After sitting them on the table to cool, I went upstairs and got to thinking...surely Kallee wouldn't dig into them. WRONG!!! I didn't think she would even notice them on the table since it was all dark in that part of the house, and she was playing in the boy's room, but she DID! Needless to say after a few wacks later, she is beginning to learn--you don't get into stuff without asking!!! You see, she tends to get in the refrigerator and pantry without asking and then I find apples with two bites taken out of them, or a bag of chips with a few chips missing, in the trash. We have had this little talk on several occasions, so you can STOP feeling sorry for her little behind : ) Anyways, we had fun today decorating our little bunny cakes! The boys (Daddy included) kept teasing Kallee that the cake was actually her bunny Thumper : ( Keegan took it one step further and told her they were going to cook her rabbit and scoop out it's guts and fill him with cake, YUCK!!! Why must boys go into such graphic details when trying to make their little sisters mad??? She would get VERY mad at them every time they teased her, so last night I "tried" to explain that they were only teasing and that I would show her in the morning how we were going to make the bunny cake. We hope you will enjoy these pictures, the kiddos enjoyed making these bunnys.



Step #1 (of course after baking it and letting it cool).


Step #2

Step #3

Step #4

Step #5

Step #6

Step #7

Ta-Da!!! They did a very good job on their little bunny cake!

Since the first bunny only used 1/2 of the cake, we decided to use the other half and make another one. This one is a multi-colored bunny, because we ran out of white frosting! It also has legs on it and is missing a tail. We used what was suppose to be his tail, for legs. Why you might ask??? It was to fill in the big chunks Kallee decided to eat last nigh, LOL! By using the
cut-out nose, I fit those pieces into the holes and made them legs. We also didn't put coconut on this one, since several don't like coconut in our family. What kind of
wackos don't like coconut?!?!? My theory on coconut is--the MORE the BETTER!!! I just fluffed the frosting with a knife to make him look
like he had fur.

5 comments:

  1. Huh, great minds think alike. I made the bunny cake with a bowtie and ears (cut out of the second cake) a couple years ago and decided that I wanted to try this one this year. Gail used to make them EVERY Easter when I was young. So I called her last night to make sure I had the right idea of how to do it. She used to put them both on a board with their noses touching. Memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago, when I was a teenager, I worked at Kroger's in their bakery! We made hundreds of those bunny cakes one year in particular! I went home and dreamed that my mom came running into the BR at church and said, "Outta my way, I'm having rabbits!" Then out from the stall came all of these white bunnies! Just like the hundreds of cakes I had been making at Krogers! Brother... I haven't made one of those in years! Yours are very cute though!!! Happy Easter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I'm one of the "wackos"!!! I HATE coconut!!! UGH!!!

    Happy Easter!!!

    And the cakes look so cute!!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara--My sister use to make a lot of neat cakes when we were kids too, she always did a great job!

    Karen--That is so funny! From what I hear, once a female starts having them, she has them all the time, poor thing : (

    Julie--I will forgive for this terible thing, since I know you love chocolate, HA! You all have a great Easter too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute cakes Janiece! Rodney is wacko too, I guess, because he doesn't like coconut. Maybe I'm a bit wacko as well because I would "prefer" not to have any!

    ReplyDelete